Visiting the town of Trapani is like emerging yourself in
the diverse historical eras. Every corner is characterised
by monuments, churches and buildings which narrate the town’s
history over the course of the various centuries. The pulsing
heart of Trapani remains to be the port, situated in the historical
centre. Over time, the port of Trapani has undergone several
modifications, up until the present day with the ongoing works
of repaving the quays and of overall adjustments. The end-point
of the town is characterised by Torre di Ligny where the Prehistoric
Museum is now located. You can reach the museum by walking
down a narrow road surrounded on both sides by an intense,
blue sea, often visited by numerous sun-bathers during the
summer. Not far from here is the fishing port where fishing
boats are renovated in a tradition that has been handed down
over the centuries from father to son. In the fishing part
of the port, one can admire the Villino Nasi, recently recovered
for public use, together with the Lazzaretto where the local
section of the Italian Lega Navale is now situated. Not far
from here, in the middle of the sea, lies the Colombaia, one
of the landmarks of the town.
Moving towards the town centre, one can admire the old palazzi
(palaces), the monuments and the chiese (churches) from different
A large part of the historical centre of Trapani is for the
use of pedestrians only and the use of cars is strictly forbidden
in many of the roads in this part of the town, which over
time has assumed the character of a sort of a salotto (sitting
Corso Vittorio Emanuele, the old Loggia (Lodge), Via Torrearsa,
Via Garibaldi. Here there is a succession of historical palazzi
and churches of notable artistic worth. The Palazzo Cavarretta,
the Cathedral, Palazzo Riccio di Morana, Palazzo San Rocco,
Palazzo Riccio di San Gioacchino, Palazzo Lucatelli, the Chiesa
del Collegio (College Church).
Not far from here one finds the Chiesa del Purgatorio, where
the sacred statues of the Misteri of Trapani are kept. From
Via Garibaldi, going up a flight of steps on the left, one
reaches the Chiesa di San Domenico with the attached convent.
Piazza Sant’Agostino opens up onto Via Torrearsa, where one
finds a church characterised by an impressive façade of a
rose-window and the Fountain of Saturn.
Going on from here one reaches Piazza Scarlatti. Nearby one
finds the old Chiesa di San Giacomo that houses the Fardelliana
Library. Following Corso Italia one arrives at the Chiesa
di San Pietro which treasures the precious organ built by
Francesco La Grassa from Palermo. The Corso then leads into
the so-called Ghetto, Via Della Giudecca and Via degli Ebrei,
which was inhabited by the Jewish community until the XV century.
The Northern part of the town is characterised by the Litoranea
(seafront) with the picturesque Piazza del Mercato del Pesce
(Fish Market Square).
The seafront road stretches along a few kilometres and runs
alongside the old wall of the town. The border between the
old town and the new one is characterised by Piazza Vittorio
Emanuele. A short distance away, in Piazza Vittorio Veneto,
one finds Palazzo d’Ali, where the Municipality Building is
situated, and opposite there is the Post Office, which is
built in an art nouveau style. Following this road one reaches
Villa Margherita, the “lung” or outdoor space of the town. It has giant ficus trees dating back to the ninth century.
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is characterised by the statue of
Vittorio Emanuele II designed by Giovanni Dupre’ (1882) and
by a large basin built in 1890 at the centre of which sit
the group of Tritone sculptures sculpted by the master Domenico
Li Muli in 1950.
After Piazza Vittorio Emanuele one arrives at Via Giovan Battista
Fardella, the main road of the town, full of shops and bars.
From here one can reach the new part of the town. Corso Piersanti
Mattarella, which leads up to the district of Erice, Via Conte
Agostino Pepoli where the Basilica dell’Annunziata and the
Regional Pepoli Museum/ Museo Regionale Pepoli are located.